There are currently approx. 60,000 known sufferers of Crohn’s disease in the UK, many of whom will have problems when applying for insurance because of the increased risk to the insurer. Diagnosis is most common for people under 40, so can effect a number of first time buyers looking to protect their mortgages. Thankfully it’s possible to obtain life cover when:
- Diagnosed within last 12 months
- Diagnosed over 12 months ago
- Insurance with additional complications
Below we explain the impact Crohn’s disease can have on life insurance applications, to give you an idea of what is possible.
How to apply for life insurance with Crohn’s disease
Make an enquiry! Your advisor will be able to handle the application for you from start to finish, and will ask you all the relevant questions insurers will need to know. Of course, the condition must be declared on the application form, prompting further information for the underwriters to be able to make an informed decision regarding the level of cover they are prepared to offer you. Typically instant decisions can be granted for those who have well managed symptoms, however if there any complications or further related illnesses then they may need to know the following:
- Date of diagnosis
- Type of medication/treatment used (if any)
- If there are any other related illnesses / implications on the liver, joints, or eyes
- If there have been any major symptoms requiring hospital treatment
- If there has been any change to medication recently
- If you are awaiting any results/check-ups/tests/operations etc.
How much is life insurance for Crohn’s disease?
Crohn’s disease sufferers who are likely to be declined the cover
- Anyone with a BMI under 17
- Anyone who has had Crohn’s disease effect their liver
- Anyone who has had Crohn’s Disease effect their eyes (This will likely prompt the insurer to request a GP report)
- Anyone Diagnosed / had an attack in last 3 months (This will likely be postponed for at least 3 months)
- Anyone who has had surgery in the last 6 months (This will likely be postponed for 6 months)
- Anyone who has surgery planned (This will likely be postponed for 12 months)
Life insurance quote with Crohn’s disease
To get a quote for life insurance with Crohn’s disease, and to find out who the best insurer for you may be, make an enquiry below and we will pass you to one of the specialists…