Our Mortgage-Approval Guarantee - We're so confident in our service, we guarantee it - or £100 back* Read more Chevron
Arrow Arrow
Scroll to top

Uninhabitable properties – Can I get a mortgage on a property with no kitchen?

Uninhabitable properties – Can I get a mortgage on a property with no kitchen?
Pete Mugleston

Author: Pete Mugleston - Mortgage Advisor, MD

Updated: June 30, 2022

"Hi there, I’ve been declined by my bank, they class the property as uninhabitable as there’s no kitchen, can you get an uninhabitable mortgage?"


Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry, we’re happy to help.

To mortgage a house without a kitchen or bathroom, many lenders will see it as uninhabitable and won’t consider it suitable security, unfortunately.

That said, every lender has their own policy on kitchen requirements and defining what constitutes a kitchen for mortgage purposes can be subjective, but in general, the basic prerequisite is having running water and functional sink area and is a sealed containable space.

If you are simply between units or the cupboards need new doors, for example, this may be OK.

If you want to mortgage a property with no kitchen, that doesn’t mean you must lose out on purchasing the property altogether, and there are a couple of options the specialists we work with could look at for you.

One is, of course, buying the property outright without a mortgage (if you have the cash available), and the other is a mortgage product called bridging finance (or development finance).

This is a flexible, short-term mortgage and is often the best mortgage product if the property is classed as uninhabitable, because these lenders allow you to buy the property and complete the renovations to make it habitable, so long as you have a strategy to repay the loan before the end of the term.

This is called an “exit strategy”, and acceptable plans may be to remortgage to clear the loan or sell the property on when the work is done.

Bridging finance usually starts at a term of 3 – 6 months and can be up to around 24 months depending on your personal circumstances and how long you need it for!


You may need a higher deposit for bridging finance than compared to a main residential mortgage, as the loan to value limits are usually a maximum of around 70 – 75% of the property value.

Keep in mind that the lenders may ask what experience you have with property renovation, or ask to see plans from the contractors to ensure that they are viable.

A more in-depth guide on uninhabitable properties can be found here.

We have written more about the property development aspect of this in the bridging and short-term finance section.

If you have an enquiry, get in touch and one of the mortgage specialists we work with will be in touch ASAP!

Get Started

FCA disclaimer

*Based on our research, the content contained in this article is accurate as of the most recent time of writing. Lender criteria and policies change regularly so speak to one of the advisors we work with to confirm the most accurate up to date information. The information on the site is not tailored advice to each individual reader, and as such does not constitute financial advice. All advisors working with us are fully qualified to provide mortgage advice and work only for firms who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. They will offer any advice specific to you and your needs.

Some types of buy to let mortgages are not regulated by the FCA. Think carefully before securing other debts against your home. As a mortgage is secured against your home, it may be repossessed if you do not keep up with repayments on your mortgage. Equity released from your home will also be secured against it.

Maximise your chances of approval, whatever your situation - Find your perfect mortgage broker

Don't miss out...

Sign up for the latest market news, new lender product information and helpful tips and advice from our experts!

Close icon