Our Mortgage-Approval Guarantee - We're so confident in our service, we guarantee it - or £100 back* Read more Chevron
Arrow Arrow
Scroll to top

Can I get a regulated bridging loan with no experience in property?

No impact on credit score

4.8 out of 5 stars across Trustpilot, Feefo and Google! Our customers love Online Mortgage Advisor

Pete Mugleston

Author: Pete Mugleston - Mortgage Advisor, MD

Updated: August 9, 2021

There are many different ways you can finance a property development project, and below Craig has asked about using a regulated bridging loan if he has no experience in property. As you can see from my answer, it’s important to have a good exit strategy, which i discuss in more detail.


Hi Pete,

I’m hoping to buy a derelict building in my local area, do it up and sell it off. The property is currently classed as ‘uninhabitable’ but with a relatively small amount of development work, it could be brought back into residential use.

The amount of work needed does not justify a full self-build mortgage, so I feel that a regulated bridging loan is the way to go. My plan is to repay the debt with some of the proceeds when I sell the property down the line. I’m planning to use a local firm to carry out the renovations themselves, but I have no experience in this kind of project myself.

Are there any bridging loan lenders who will approve an application like this, or is my lack of experience in residential property development likely to hold me back?


Craig, Salford 


Hi Craig,

Thanks for getting in touch. I’d be delighted to help you out and I’ve got good news for you: having no experience in residential property development isn’t necessarily going to be a deal-breaker here. All bridging loan applications are weighed and measured on the strength of the exit strategy, and if yours is strong, there could be a lender out there for you.

Although some bridging finance providers might steer clear of this project because of your inexperience, others might be more interested in the experience of the building firm you’re using. If their credentials check out, the lender might be convinced that your plans are achievable.

Moreover, the sellability of the property you want to develop is likely to be a more critical factor here than your track record in the industry. If the lender thinks the property will raise the required amount when the works are completed, this will dramatically increase your chances of approval.

In any case, I would suggest speaking to a specialist bridging finance broker. They have whole-of-market access and can match you with the lender who is best placed to offer finance to a customer with no experience in property development.



You can read more questions and answers about regulated bridging loans here:

Ask a quick question

We can help!
We know everyone's circumstances are different, that's why we work with mortgage brokers who are experts in Bridging Loan Mortgages
Ask us a question and we'll get the best expert to help.

Feefo Stars
1 of 3
2 of 3
3 of 3 Send!

About the author

Pete, an expert in all things mortgages, cut his teeth right in the middle of the credit crunch. With plenty of people needing help and few mortgage providers lending, Pete found great success in going the extra mile to find mortgages for people whom many others considered lost causes. The experience he gained, coupled with his love of helping people reach their goals, led him to establish Online Mortgage Advisor, with one clear vision – to help as many customers as possible get the right advice, regardless of need or background.

Pete’s presence in the industry as the ‘go-to’ for specialist finance continues to grow, and he is regularly cited in and writes for both local and national press, as well as trade publications, with a regular column in Mortgage Introducer and being the exclusive mortgage expert for LOVEMoney. Pete also writes for OMA of course!

Read more about Pete

Pete Mugleston

Mortgage Advisor, MD

FCA disclaimer

*Based on our research, the content contained in this article is accurate as of the most recent time of writing. Lender criteria and policies change regularly so speak to one of the advisors we work with to confirm the most accurate up to date information. The information on the site is not tailored advice to each individual reader, and as such does not constitute financial advice. All advisors working with us are fully qualified to provide mortgage advice and work only for firms who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. They will offer any advice specific to you and your needs.

Some types of buy to let mortgages are not regulated by the FCA. Think carefully before securing other debts against your home. As a mortgage is secured against your home, it may be repossessed if you do not keep up with repayments on your mortgage. Equity released from your home will also be secured against it.

Maximise your chances of approval, whatever your situation - Find your perfect bridging finance broker

Don't miss out...

Sign up for the latest market news, new lender product information and helpful tips and advice from our experts!

Close icon