Navigate interest-only remortgages confidently. Get matched with an expert mortgage broker for tailored guidance
Are you looking to remortgage your interest only mortgage?
No impact on credit score
Why use us?
At OnlineMortgageAdvisor we know that everyone's circumstances are different. That's why we only work with expert brokers who have a proven track record in securing mortgage approvals
- Interest-Only remortgage specialists
- Higher chance of approval
- Mortgage Approval Guarantee - or £100 back*
- No impact on credit score
- We don't charge a fee
- There for you every step of the way
- Rated excellent on Trustpilot, Feefo and Google
If you have any questions,
feel free to call us on 0808 189 2301
Financial Conduct Authorityhttps://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ukgwa/20180207155431/https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/documents/interest-only-mortgages-act-now.pdf
Here we’ll look at what options you have when it comes to remortgaging or refinancing an interest-only mortgage, and why you should always speak to a broker to make sure you get the best deal for your circumstances.
Can you remortgage an interest-only mortgage?
Yes. There are mortgage lenders who will consider a straightforward remortgage on the same interest-only terms. In many cases, your existing lender will be prepared to offer you a new deal. But it’s important to check the rest of the market too, as there may be a better deal available by switching lenders.
It’s also worth looking at what repayment terms are on offer. Interest-only mortgages are usually taken out to make monthly payments more manageable, but if your property has gone up in value, your loan to value ratio will be lower and you may be able to get a lower rate.
Your personal circumstances may have also changed. If you have had a pay rise since taking out your mortgage or have paid off other commitments, a repayment mortgage (that will see your payments eat into the capital borrowed and not just the interest) may be affordable.
Speak to a remortgage expert
How to get an interest-only remortgage
Your first step should be to make an enquiry with us so we can match you with a mortgage broker who specialises in interest-only remortgages. This will increase your chances of securing the best rate and deal, and their guidance will simplify the process.
The advisor we match you with will guide you through the following steps to full application:
- Calculating your loan to value ratio and reviewing your interest-only repayment vehicle to make sure it is still on track to repay the capital amount owed
- Optimising your credit reports in order to check for any inaccuracies or out of date information which could cause issues if not corrected before you apply for a remortgage
- Finding the right remortgage lenders currently offering the most competitive rates
- Gather all the necessary documentation needed for your remortgage application
Interest Only Remortgages Rates
Take a look at some example rates below for an idea of what to expect:
Looking for more rates and deals?
We can match you with a mortgage broker who can provide you with up-to-date bespoke rates and deals from across the entire market.
Last updated December 2023
Please note that the above rates were accurate at the time of writing, but are always subject to change at the lender’s discretion. Speaking to a mortgage broker is the best way to find the most up-to-date deals.
Can you release equity?
Yes. You could do this by extending your loan on either interest-only or repayment terms, providing you meet the providers’ eligibility criteria and can prove affordability.
Switching to a repayment mortgage will give you far more options in terms of lenders and products, so is something you should definitely look into as you may be able to get a more suitable deal.
To remortgage and release equity without increasing your payments too much, you might want to consider a part and part mortgage. This is a hybrid of an interest-only and repayment mortgage that gives you the best of both worlds.
Absolute Fab: I got a mortgage as an ex-bankrupt !!!
As an ex-bankrupt with a qualified Annulment I had to take several bridging loans to cover my debt. I found Online Mortgage Advisor who offered fantastic but specific insight to my issues. Within 6 weeks we exchanged contracts and I am now debt-free, and my house is safe.
They pulled out all the stops
Great staff and good communication. Helped us understand the process and gone over and above to help in a difficult situation. Other companies couldn't even be bothered but Thank you so much!
Anneke Woolley, 12 days ago
Our advisor was amazing from the start!
Aaron went above and beyond. He worked late and kept in contact with me and worked tirelessly to find me the best mortgage he could
James, 10 days ago
Rated 4.8 out of 5 stars across Trustpilot, Feefo and Google
Alternatives to remortgaging
If your interest-only mortgage is coming to the end of its term, you will soon be required to repay the capital borrowed. If your repayment vehicle is not sufficient to cover the balance, don’t despair – there are alternatives to remortgaging:
- Equity release: If you’re over 55, you could take out an equity release product. This could allow you to pay off your mortgage and, possibly, release some of the equity in your home to spend on whatever you want. One of the good things about equity release is that you must take financial advice before going ahead so you will always make a fully informed decision.
- Retirement Interest-Only Mortgage (RIO): Older borrowers may want to look into the possibility of a retirement interest-only (RIO) mortgage. A RIO mortgage is like any other interest-only mortgage but has no set term so the capital is repaid when you die or move into long term care.
- Sell your property: Not everyone will want to do this, but if it has gone up considerably in value, you may be able to settle your mortgage and buy a smaller place to live using the equity.
- Sell other property or assets: It’s worth taking an inventory of your assets (including shares and investments) – particularly if you have owned your home for 25 years. You might be able to clear your mortgage altogether or significantly reduce the amount of a remortgage and ensure your new monthly payments are manageable.
- Extend your term: Depending on your circumstances, your current provider may agree to simply extend your term. If they do agree to this request, it is still worth comparing their deal against alternatives to make sure you don’t end up overpaying.
Refinancing an interest-only buy to let mortgage
When remortgaging an interest-only buy to let property, you will have more lenders available to you than when doing so with a residential mortgage.
Nonetheless, it’s worth looking at your options for switching to a repayment buy to let. Depending on the amount you need to borrow and the value of the property, you may be able to get a more affordable rate and start clearing your capital as well as servicing the interest.
Likewise, if you already have a repayment buy to let and are finding the repayments a squeeze, remortgaging to interest-only could help your cash flow situation.
Remortgaging to an interest-only mortgage
Interest-only could also be an option for residential homeowners looking for alternatives to relieve the burden of rising interest rates and higher monthly payments with a capital & repayment mortgage.
This is not a decision you should enter into lightly, so it’s advisable to draw up a full income and expenditure report and speak to an experienced remortgage specialist before making a decision.
Use our mortgage calculator below to get a comparison of what your mortgage payments will look like on capital and repayment versus interest-only.
Just click on the toggle button once you’ve inputted the amounts into the required fields to see the difference in monthly payments between each repayment method.
Mortgage Repayment Calculator
Our mortgage repayment calculator can tell you how much your mortgage will cost you each month and overall. Enter the amount you’re borrowing, the term length and interest rate, and our calculator will do the rest.
Total amount paid at end of term:
Get started with an expert broker to find out how much they could help you save on your mortgage repayments.
We're so confident in our service, we guarantee it.
We know it's important for you to have complete confidence in our service, and trust that you're getting the best chance of mortgage approval at the best available rate. We guarantee to get your mortgage approved where others can't - or we'll give you £100*
Get matched with a remortgage specialist
Interest-only mortgages are often a great way to get onto the property ladder, but they are not always the best long-term solution. That’s why it’s always wise to assess your finances and consider all options when you come to remortgage.
Our broker matching service will pair you up with a remortgage specialist who has extensive experience helping people in your circumstances understand their options and make the right decision for them.
Get matched with your ideal remortgage specialist. Call now on 0808 189 2301 or enquire online to arrange a free, no-obligation chat.
Ask us a question
We know everyone's circumstances are different, that's why we work with mortgage brokers who are experts in all different mortgage subjects.
Ask us a question and we'll get the best expert to help.
Get in touch today
Make an enquiry and we'll arrange for an experienced mortgage broker we work with to contact you straight away.